Proverbs 22:29 says, “Do you see a man who excels in his work? He will stand before kings, he will not stand before unknown men.” That’s all well and good, but the more I think about it, the more I recognize that excellence is overrated. I mean, only a minority ever excel. If everyone started doing it, it wouldn’t be excelling any more, would it? The fact is, most folks never get beyond average. That is why we call it average, because most folks are doing it. With that in mind, I have developed a very simple plan to attain average.
I share with you 11 ways to be an unremarkably average Christian.
- Equate Christianity with “going to church.”
- Only do what the preacher proves you absolutely have to do.
- Fit spirituality in around everything else.
- Overextend yourself financially.
- If someone strikes you, hit him back.
- Never confess to your brothers and sisters.
- Only forgive others if they have earned it and never say you’re sorry.
- Never change your opinion on anything.
- Never talk to others about spiritual things.
- Don’t get out of the boat.
- Never worry about being average, no one will ever question you about it.