“This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine.”
We’ve sung the song since we were kids, but are we living it? God wants our lights to shine (Matthew 5:16; Philippians 2:14-16). He expects us to be the twinkling stars that dance in the vast expanse of the inky black darkness. As sailors once charted their course to safe harbor by using the stars as beacons in the dark nights, we need to live in such a way that others can chart their course to heaven’s harbor by following our light.
We are beacons when we reflect the light of Jesus to the world by walking in Christ’s word so others can follow us to heaven.
However, we sometimes need help on a daily basis trying to figure out if our light is shining with our given choices. I want to share with you a series of questions you can ask to help you determine if you are a beacon.
- Am I doing this in the name of the Lord? A question of Authority (cf. Colossians 3:17)
- Am I surrendering to God? A question of Lordship (cf. Galatians 2:20)
- Am I glorifying God? A question of Goals (cf. Matthew 5:16)
- Am I sowing to the flesh or the Spirit? A question of Guidance (cf. Galatians 5:16-25)
- Am I providing for the lusts of the flesh? A question of Honesty (cf. Romans 13:14)
- Am I professing godliness? A question of Honor (cf. I Timothy 4:7-8)
- Am I set apart for holiness? A question of Usefulness (cf. I Thessalonians 4:1-8)
- Am I hungering for righteousness? A question of Passion (cf. Matthew 5:6)
- Am I cheerful about it? A question of Attitude (cf. Philippians 2:14)
- Am I standing out? A question of Commitment (cf. Romans 12:1)
Are you letting your little light shine?
For more check out the sermon.